[Dprglist] DPRG Meeting - Android Phones as Robot Controllers with Iron Reign

Karim Virani pondersome64 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 18:04:30 PST 2019

For tomorrow's meeting Iron Reign will be there to share some more about
how we use Android phones to run our robots. Since we were just invited
today (I think Ron has the flu) it'll be a bit informal and off-the-cuff.
We'll share a bit more about our robot's development since last time, but
this will mostly be a coding walk-through using the framework provided by
FIRST - the program in charge of our competition.

For the walk-through we'll only show some simplified examples, but if you
want to follow along on your own computers, you can install the tools and
starter code:

1. Download Android Studio <https://developer.android.com/studio/> - this
is a free development environment based on jetbrains, the java sdks will
come along for the ride
2. Download the ftc_app starter framework
<https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app> from github - this is starter
codebase
3. Compile the app. This needs to be done ahead of time because it will
fail multiple times as it figures out new dependencies that need to be
downloaded.

There is a fair amount of downloading in all of those steps. We won't have
time to debug the install process for those trying it on their own, but we
might have a way for you to test a very basic teleop program if you are
able to follow along live. We hope to bring some robot phones and show you
how to debug wirelessly. If it doesn't work for you, don't worry about it -
if folks are interested we can follow up at RBNO.