[Dprglist] Sample Retrieval clarification

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 15:57:30 PST 2019

John,

    I think first it would be best to think about what type of obstacles
are likely in the search area of the contest. We will ask spectators to
move to the edge of the room to give the robots as much room as possible.
The search area will be most of the room. That means there will be arenas
(some on tables), chairs, an odd person (judge, or robot owner), and stuff
I don't currently know about in the room. Of course, there is also the home
base in the search area. The intent of obstacles is to make finding the
target objects more difficult than simple straight-line shots. The robot
will have to "search" to find the objects. I suspect there will be an easy
target in the mix.

    Since most of these objects weight substantially more than the robot, I
suspect that obstacle movement due to the robot will be minimal. My
thoughts are; if a chair was moved or shoved a bit that would be okay. If
the robot tried to move a table with an arena or an arena on the floor
(Can-Can Soccer arena), I would be more concerned. The obstacles shouldn't
be an issue for the robots to maneuver about the floor. There should be no
need or reason for shoving things except for poor obstacle detection and
avoidance. I would not recommend a strategy that required shoving obstacles.

  BTW, a Neato has excellent obstacle detection and avoidance. Also,
obstacles will generally (except for people) be static features that could
be to provide navigation orientation.

   Less annoying would be good..., but get'her done. We can hand out ear
plugs at the competition with proper planning.

Regards,

Doug P.