[Dprglist] Sample Retrieval vacuum cleaner

Rud Merriam rudmerriam at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 19:08:25 PST 2019

I've been wearing hearing aids since I was 25 and am now 70. I have
always been able to localize sound sources. Perhaps not as accurate as
someone with normal hearing but well within the quadrant and likely to
with 15-30 degrees.  With the current SOTA DSP I can probably hear tones
better than someone with normal hearing if I tweak the settings. The
challenge is speech comprehension in noisy situations.

I need the power of BTE aids. Current aids have two mics one facing
forward and the other back. DSP uses them for noise canceling and
probably for lessening the rear sounds to mimic normal hearing. Haven't
looked into the details of the processing but am generally familiar with
DSP.

On my soapbox for all: once you turn 50 get a hearing test and repeat it
every 5 years. You won't notice the loss so you need a test to detect
it. If you wait too long the brain loses the ability to 'hear' the
sounds, especially for speech comprehension. If you get aids wear them
even though they will annoy the heck out of you. That's because you're
now hearing stuff, like the HVAC air movement through ducts, that you
couldn't because of the loss. You're brain will relearn and sort it out
if you do it soon enough. They won't work as well as possible at first
because the hearing tech will set the gain below what you really need,
probably 85% or so. After a few months you'll get comfortable with them
and the tech can increase the gain to 100%. They can also tweak the DSP
settings if you pay attention to when you're having difficulties.
Restaurants are the absolute worst places because of all the noise.

I have never lost a hearing aid because I (1) always get shirts with
breast pockets so if I have to take them out that's where they go and
(2) at home there are only 2 or 3 places where I will put them down. We
just got kittens so at home now only keep them in a box on my desk.
Previously there was a spot in the kitchen, the bathroom vanity, and my
desk. I do have small case I can take with me if I know I will be taking
them out - like going someplace for swimming or exercise. It goes in my
pants pocket but is not comfortable. </soapbox>

-73 -
*Rud Merriam K5RUD*
/Mystic Lake Software/ <http://mysticlakesoftware.com/>