[Dprglist] Volunteer Request and Info Session for the 2019 North Texas BEST Robotics

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 15:46:02 PDT 2019

-All,
    I received this call for volunteers for the BEST robotics organization
in Dallas via the website.. BEST is a STEM program for HS students. It has
a competition, like FIRST, but is significantly different. It appears to
have a compressed schedule where a team is given a problem and competes
within 6 weeks. They are having their kickoff meeting on September 7th and
their competition on October 19th.
    I do not know what kind of volunteers they are looking for or the time
requirement. I know that Will coached a BEST team for several years, and
had fond memories of the experience.
    If you are looking for a way to give back, it would be worth exploring
the volunteer opportunities below:

Regards,
Doug P.

*Volunteer Request and Info Session for the 2019 North Texas BEST Robotics*

BEST Robotics (Boosting Science, Engineering, and Technology) is an
all-volunteer group of engineers, technologists, and anyone else interested
in promoting STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) to middle,
junior, and senior high school students through an annual robotics
competition.  Volunteers are needed to prepare for the 2019 CoCo, Dallas,
Denton, Cowtown, and the regional Texas BEST high school robotics
competition with theme name: “Off the Grid!” Responsibilities include:
Setup & assist for any or all of Kickoff Days, Mall/Demo Days, and Game
Days, and volunteers are particularly needed during the 6 week product
development process to mentor student teams in the engineering process that
starts in September.  See the iVolunteer event “2019 All North Texas BEST
Robotics Competitions”
<https://www.cybergrants.com/pls/cybergrants/eg_evt_mgr.view_event?x_gm_id=1698&x_source_flag=EGD&x_pt_id=50574&x_org_id=1766009&x_event_id=11430789&x_style_id=>
for
more details.

We have set up a volunteer information session for BEST Robotics this
year.  We will go over some ideas for teams to use for designing the robot
to tackle the game theme (without providing the game details) and what is
expected of our volunteer engineering mentors.  Even returning teachers and
mentors are invited and can contribute to the open discussion.  The session
will be held Tuesday, August 27, from 6:00 PM to 7:30PM CDT.

In person at Raytheon North Building Mini Auditorium on the Dallas Texas
Instruments Expressway Site.

Remote access available by WebEx and conference call.

*WEBEX Remote Access Information*Click to join:
https://ti.webex.com/ti/j.php?MTID=m6b8b6112563133067093952222abc5f6
Alternatively, enter meeting number 712 545 439 at: http://ti.webex.com

*CALL IN INFORMATION:*United States Toll Free: 1-877-561-6828
Local number: 972-995-7777
Access code:  99527750

If you've never used Webex before, allow a little time for your PC/laptop
to install and set up that access application from the same link.

Although this session will be directed to potential volunteers in the North
Texas region, anyone interested in learning about BEST Robotics is welcome
to participate.
Contact Jon Spangler (j-spangler at raytheon.com; 972-344-8057) for additional
information.