[Dprglist] DPRG Monthly meeting - April 13th

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 09:11:26 PDT 2019

-All,
   The date error on the original post has been corrected. --Doug P

*Line Following Kinematics & Open source course programs in Processing –
Monthly Meeting Topic – April 13th, 2019*
Posted on April 10, 2019
<https://www.dprg.org/line-following-kinematics-open-source-course-programs-in-processing-monthly-meeting-topic-april-11th-2019/>
 by Robie_robot <https://www.dprg.org/author/robie_robot/>

DPRG’s April monthly meeting topic is “Line Following Kinematics & Open
source course programs in Processing”. DPRG Members Will Kuhnle and Ron
Grant will share their experiences on Line Following Kinematics and
Processing based Line Following course simulation.  The meeting is at the
Dallas Maker Space and starts at Noon on Saturday, April 13th.

*Agenda:*

*Part 1 – Line Following Kinematics:*
Will Kuhnle will address questions like:

   - What are Kinematics of line following?
   - How can Kinematics help my robot design?

This part of the presentation is about how to make a robot follow a path
based on its physical parameters and design.  It will look into the
problems of following  a smooth curve path (e.g. the DPRG Novice Course),
and the more advanced problem of following a combination of smooth curves
and disjoint curves (e.g. the DPRG Advanced Line Following Course).

*Part 2 – Open Source Course Builder and Interpreter programs:*
Ron Grant will demo and explain his interactive line following course
builder program, which is written with Processing (java environment). This
builder program reads/writes a human readable format and can use SVG files
created in such programs as Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator. *Note:* DPRG
stores past courses in their GitHub repository in SVG format.

Ron will also share a few words on a data format and interpreter that reads
a description of line following course tiles in order and tracks path with
each sequential tile. The format supports DPRG line following courses
including all features of the Challenge Course except the finish gate
(which is “hand coded”).

Both programs will be published to a DPRG’s GitHub repository.

*Show and Tell:*After the presentations, anyone who wants to show or demo a
project that they are working on is welcome to present it to the group.

*About DPRG Monthly Meetings:*
DPRG hosts interesting presentations each month during its regular
membership meeting. These meetings and presentations are open to public and
free to attend. We hope to see you there. Everyone is welcome.

*About DPRG:*
Dallas Personal Robotics Group has been actively building robots for fun
since 1984. We meet every Tuesday evening and every 2nd Saturday of the
month. DPRG also frequently participates in community events. We usually
meet at the Dallas MakerSpace. Guests of all ages and skill levels are
always welcome! It is a great place to meet others exploring the world of
hobby robotics, and share tips and experiences.