[Dprglist] Join Us Tomorrow 8 Sept: DPRG Monthly Meeting

Carl Ott carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 09:35:51 PDT 2018

Reminder - DPRG monthly meeting tomorrow 8 Sept, starting at noon

view from our meetup:
https://www.meetup.com/Build-More-Robots-with-DPRG/events/254323450/

or here:
We’ll start this month with a brief group discussion about a potential
DonkeyCar collaboration idea. Donkey Car is an open source project that
uses OpenCV and neural nets to power autonomous driving robots, typically
based on an RC car chassis. Check it out http://www.donkeycar.com/

For the September presentation, Carl Ott will share background, demos and
code walkthrough for Espuruino devices. Espruino is an open source
JavaScript interpreter for microcontrollers. It can fit into devices with
as little as 128kB Flash and 8kB RAM. You can install Espruino on 6
official boards, and over a dozen other devices. Plus, Espruino comes with
good documentation, tutorials and an active community forum.

Considering that most DPRG robots use languages like Python or some variant
of C, we’ll talk about JavaScript as an alternative, and how it can be well
suited to embedded devices like robots...

We’ll review Esprunio, and walk through LED blinking and sensor reading
JavaScript for some BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) beacons. As these devices
run on low energy coin cells, they provide a great example of Espruinos’
efficiency.

We’ll also do a high level demo of a dashboard that can interact with these
BLE beacons using Node-Red and MQTT. Node-Red provides another / graphical
environment for JavaScript with a large palette of helpful built-in library
components. MQTT is a popular lightweight pub-sub messaging protocol. We
may not use these technologies much in DPRG today, but why not? It could
happen…

This will be a great chance to look at options to break out of traditional
embedded platforms and consider alternatives.

We hope to see you there. Everyone is welcome to attend.