[Dprglist] Roborama & wireless networking

Carl Ott carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
Sun May 13 15:33:16 PDT 2018

Hey all - thanks for the ideas!

Doug and John -

I'm intrigued by the 433 MHz Wixels - but sounds like they offer a serial
port connection.  To use anything like that I'd need to put additional code
at both ends, to convert the existing https / REST based API into a serial
port interface.  On the commands to robot side, I'm trying to avoid that
and stick with something over a network - https / MQTT / AMQP /
web-sockets, etc...

Bluetooth might also work for commands, except that's also in the 2.4 GHz
band, with significant overlap with Wi-Fi.  I haven't attempted to quantify
it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it suffers a similar fate as Wi-Fi.  But
BT is definitely in the toolkit - I have some pucks and tools well suited
to going there...  Also, I'm pretty sure that  BT is too low bandwidth &
not well suited for video...  On the plus side, there do seem to be plenty
of libraries e.g. for node.js to control and listen to bluetooth devices...

The home video senders are likely too big - although there are some battery
powered video links meant for spying.  The biggest issue I have with those,
is that I believe they tend to send video with it's own modulation scheme -
which would likely require a different camera interface than the ones which
plug right into an R-Pi.  Also, on the receiving end, they need to be
demodulated and digitized with the stream fed into video processing.

I'm thinking it'll be easier to solve the video issue with a network /
packet based approach.  Also, using a network connection for both video
feed and commands to robot requires just one common interface, versus a
couple of very different interfaces.

But if there was a way to get network packets over Wixels... sounds like a
worthy search...

Mary

thanks for the HAM link.  I had found some earlier HAM related stuff like
that, but those look like current references.

The nice thing about HAM, or maybe also wixels, is that it could give a
chance for a solution that could work over nice distances outdoors as well
- likely further than Wi-Fi.  And I have a decent HAM license, earned a
year or two ago - would be nice to leverage it and snag lightly used
spectrum after putting the trouble into getting a license...

Thanks all - keep the ideas coming!

Carl