[Dprglist] Tesla crash

John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Sat Mar 31 10:22:20 PDT 2018

Why didn't the car nose-plant the driver on the windshield with a rib-crushing panic stop? Brakes are always far, far more powerful than engines, and those cars can accelerate wonderfully, so they can stop even better. Even if it began a panic stop and could not avoid the obstacle, the energy would be far less, and it's better to chance being rear-ended than to definitely hit something.

A friend's Toyota truck nose-plants me when someone crosses our lane half a block away. Makes no sense for Uber and Tesla to not force panic stops.

Makes no sense.

Also, Tesla is once again touting their safety record. This time, they upped the statistic by about 10 times over the stat they used in their previous fatality, when in fact the stats are at least twice as bad as before.

Makes no sense.

Just don't hit anything. Anything. Learn to stop. No need to special-case tens of thousands of conditions. Just don't hit anything.

John Swindle