[Dprglist] More Re: LF Challenge questions

Ron Grant deltagraph at aol.com
Mon Jan 15 10:49:53 PST 2018

John / All,

The course as it exists now is paper backed with Tyvek and is somewhat wrinkled. It uses red lines for tile borders that are about 0.01" to 0.02" wide (I believe). Doug Paradis is the author of the SVG file used to create the course.

Using physical tiles is great except they weigh about 100 lbs (for 7x12 course) and are time consuming to set up.
Inkjet printing on banner material seems like a really nice alternative because the course can be easily rolled out/rolled up.

Also, printing sample subset(s) of the course can be handy. I created some approximations of the course which have served me well.
In some cases I opted to bend the rules to get more features in a small area. Also, my sample courses have tile borders that don't conform to any standard (magenta lines 1/4" thick..)

Since Carl has invested much effort in his line follower, my suggestion is to defer to him what he wants to do with the course, but the general thinking is if we are going to invest $150 for a banner print, we might want to make a few minor changes.

Also, Doug suggested that if someone wants to request the original course, they can run on it, otherwise here is a list of what might get changed.

1. 6 Inch border which may contain text near edge of banner.
2. Remove annotation text except bury darkness numbers in stains using low contrast text (20,40,60..) Start and Stop text could be moved over into border region.

3. Replace red tile lines with cross hairs  1" x 1" using something like  x 0.1" wide red/magenta  lines
4. Add a DPRG logo (probably in a tile adjacent to 80% stain tile)
5. Possibly reflect one of the "diagonal bend" lines on edge of course. Not so important now, except that is near a location that it might be handy to
place course ID text.

In any case we will make available SVG and PDF files. SVG can be edited by Inkscape for example. PDF files are readily submitted to banner printing company which would allow anyone to print their own course that is "nearly identical" to the contest course. Will Kuhnle did note some minor variation in banner "shades" of white.

For example using stickersbanners.com
 Full sized course is 7x13 x $1.65/sq.ft  ($150)  Smaller courses same sq.ft  - no added shipping cost - arrives next day (in DFW area).
Leaving border off can save money if you want to supply your own.

Of course printing your own course using whatever means is an option.

I am open to suggestions, but also pretty interested in being done with this. Of course, Doug, if you want to take the reigns... otherwise we should get this finished, documented (with PDF SVG online..) and printed.

Also, Doug did do a lot of work with creating tile groups, but immediate interest is getting course done.

Hope this email makes sense..

Ron