[Dprglist] Tesla crash

John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Wed Apr 4 10:49:37 PDT 2018

Ezra,

Thank you for correcting my reading of Tesla's statistics. The numbers Tesla showed for this year's fatality are much higher than the numbers for the 2016 fatality, and I thought they had cooked the numbers. My mistake.

Tesla's appeal to statistics bothers me because the numbers are not yet significant, and the numbers are like saying the Shuttle System was successful because it failed with the predicted loss of two orbiters.

But that's not my point. I muddied my point with the stat stuff.

There is no excuse for running an autonomous vehicle into a fixed obstacle. Allowing such behavior does not improve safety. It makes no sense. That's my only point.

Thanks for pointing out my error on the stats.

John Swindle

The following is just a summary of Tesla's quotations about the statistics:

>From Tesla's June 30, 2016 release:

"This is the first known fatality in just over 130 million miles where Autopilot was activated. Among all vehicles in the US, there is a fatality every 94 million miles. Worldwide, there is a fatality approximately every 60 million miles."

>From a Dow Jones report on July 1, 2016:

"Tesla contends its system is safer than conventional automobiles, noting the crash was the first fatality in over 130 million miles driven with Autopilot and that the feature "results in a statistically significant improvement in safety when compared to purely manual driving.""

>From Tesla's March 30, 2018 release about their most recent fatality:

"In the US, there is one automotive fatality every 86 million miles across all vehicles from all manufacturers. For Tesla, there is one fatality, including known pedestrian fatalities, every 320 million miles in vehicles equipped with Autopilot hardware. If you are driving a Tesla equipped with Autopilot hardware, you are 3.7 times less likely to be involved in a fatal accident."