[Dprglist] for Beginners & Beyond - Re: Computer vision software for beginners

Karim Virani pondersome64 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 21:20:51 PDT 2017

Carl, that was a very helpful and thorough response.

We've been using a tool called ImagePlay. http://imageplay.io/ It's open
source and based on OpenCV. The team used it to create a pipeline that has
some potential to help navigation in this year's challenge. Since it's open
source, once you have a pipeline, you can figure out the calls to it makes
to opencv to construct the stages. It's based on the C++ implementation so
the team has to translate that to java for their Android controllers. It
has a very nice pipeline editor that supports branching. The downside is
that it is very unstable and doesn't have anywhere near the number of
filters and algorithms that RoboRealm supports.

We did ask RoboRealm for a license and they responded positively last week!
It took them a while to verify that we were a FIRST robotics team - they
support individual FIRST teams with licenses. It's much easier to
experiment with and they have great documentation so now have an improved
pipeline. It's going to take more work to figure out how to implement that
pipeline in OpenCV. We can't use the RoboRealm capabilities directly. But
as a tool for learning different aspects of computer vision, RoboRealm
rocks. Thanks for your original presentation posted to the DPRG youtube
channel - it helped us get up to speed quickly.

Peace,

Karim