[Dprglist] November Competition 2017

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 19:59:58 PST 2017

John,
    I always enjoy your emails. They routinely look at things in a
different light. I will attempt to answer your questions and fix the LF
rule document.

    A little history, in 2014/15 an effort was made by a group of members
to see if the rules could be distilled to what was important and drop some
of the convoluted "legalize" aspects that were in the rules at the time.
The result was generally good, but sometimes nuances were lost.

    Q:   ... If that kind of movement of the robot is acceptable, then the
robot (a real physical one) does not actually have to follow curvature of
the line: It just has to move from entry points to exit points.
    A:   The rules state "The front and rear of a competing robot must
enter and exit every element of the course. If a robot overshoots or loses
the line and recovers, its recovery course must take it through the
adjacent element. Under-shooting an element or taking a wrong turn at an
intersection disqualifies the robot’s run."   The original purpose of the
"Additional Information" was to define when a robot became lost. A robot
was lost if it skipped a tile or undershot a tile. The classic lost robot
making an undershoot is when a robot jumps from one of the curves in a
"Double Curve" block to the other ( see allowed elements). I would
interpret the rules as a robot must follow the line or it is undershooting,
which is not allowed. I will adjust the rules to specifically state that
the robot must follow the curvature of the line or the implied curvature of
the line where the line is not contiguous.

   Q.   If the specific contest rules don't mention "self-contained", then
does that mean the robot can use external resources?
   A:    Yes. The club has been loosing the rules for the last couple of
years to allow external resources. Several in-door contests now do not
require a robot to be self-contained. However, non-self-contained is meant
to allow external computing power. Beacons or sensors may be covered in
other rules of the contest. For example, Can-Can soccer has restrictions on
where beacons can be placed.

   Rule Language Inconsistencies:  There was a decision at the last rules
revision to rename the LF levels from Beginner, Senior, Advanced to Novice,
Advanced, Challenge (note: the Challenge level course has always been named
the "Challenge" level course) . Also, the rules were specifically to
outline what contest that would be held at Roborama. These level were the
Novice and Advanced, which both only have black lines on white fields, and
that is where the error made it way into the document. I will look over the
rules again and make sure everything is consistent. Thanks for pointing out
the problems.

I will publish the modified rule set for review.

Regards,
Doug P.