[Dprglist] garden roomba

Jeff Koenig koenig.jeff at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 05:07:14 PDT 2017

I like these garden robots, and I'd consider creating a small plot just to
have a space for them to maintain.  It would be fun to train a security
camera on them to monitor their progression.

>From the folded receipt bookmark, I see that I bought the first-edition
"Mobile Robots - Inspiration to Implementation" in 1995, and paid $39.95.
It was well worth it.  I wrote subsumption code for a Handyboard that did
all of the steps for the Can Can contest, but never got them all running
together properly.  It was a lot of fun watching a subsumption robot
successfully wander around the house for hours, though, interacting with
the dog and people, hiding, etc.

Jon Connell was at MIT with Jones and Flynn about this time, and somewhere
I found contact information for him.  After a brief correspondence, I
talked him into selling me a couple of PCBs he created for an analog
subsumption robot he'd written up for OMNI magazine.  That completed robot
now sits on a shelf, mostly as a trophy.

I don't recall the fellow at the DPRG with plans for an agricultural robot,
but I remember it being discussed.  Hopefully someone else has a more
complete recollection.

-Jeff