[Dprglist] Moon rovers

Ezra Christensen ezracc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 08:51:19 PST 2017

Google Lunar's XPRIZE is coming to the final leg, with 5 teams left and
a deadline of Dec 31, 2017.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38731862

Israel's team has a hopper that will be riding on a SpaceX rocket.
India and Japan have wheeled rovers and will be sharing a ride on an
Indian rocket. I give props to Japan's team for a clean, functional
design (only 4kg) and to India's team for the consumer friendliness of
their model. You could easily anthropomorphize India's build and drop it
into a movie or sell mini-versions Short Circuit style.

The U.S. and International teams are planning to ride on two different,
so-far untested rockets - a major risk IMO, but who am I to tell them
what to do :)

Should be interesting to see what happens.

Ezra

---