[Dprglist] DPRG - Image Stabilization Platform demo project - ie. w/ Brushless Gimbal Motors

Carl Ott carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 13:36:43 PST 2017

FYI -

As discussed in our monthly meeting,

regarding the proposed club / demo / technology project,
and for the July '17 presentation which my name is now somehow linked...

I'm proposing to pull a team together to build a 2 axis or 3 axis
stabilized gimbal.  This would handle some nominal range of camera
size/weight payload.  It would also use brushless gimbal motors, which tend
to have more poles and magnets (ie. and hence much better angular
resolution) than e.g. normal brushless wheel motors.  It would be built
such that

- it could provide a cool club demo for events like Moonday or the
MakerFaires
- it could be used by club members to explore stabilized gimbal options /
capabilities / tuning / etc...

FWIW, I worked on such a project circa early 1990's for a military vehicle
while I was in the Defense Group of Texas Instruments.  And then 3 or 4
years ago I built a 3 axis gimbal from scratch (it worked pretty well),
which was based on an early 8 bit version of the SimpleBGC (current version
here http://www.basecamelectronics.com/simplebgc32ext/, plus
http://www.basecamelectronics.com/bluetooth/)

So, if the DPRG board approves it, I'd recruit interested parties and we'd:

- define some nominal parameters to specify/ bound a demo/ exploration
platform
- have somebody build the mechanics parts
- have somebody select & procure electronics from
http://www.basecamelectronics.com/
- have somebody select & procure a demo camera & other supporting
electronics
- work together to assemble, tune & produce a repeatable demo for the club
demo toolkit

And then in July, we could do the presentation on the whole kit &
kabootle...

Juz lemme know if you'd be interested to contribute on such a project, in
case it becomes approved by the DPRG board...

BR
Carl

email: carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
mobile: +1 972 765 2676